Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lemon Shortbread

I wanted to make something along the lines of the lavender shortbread cookies at the Dairy Godmother, but, sadly, Giant didn't have any lavender.  And I'm now restraining myself from typing the entire rest of this post about how amazing their custard is.  And their lavender cookies.  Mmmmm.



 Next best thing:  Lemon, which allowed me to finally break out my new microplane grater.  And what a good idea!  Sweet, lemony, buttery, goodness.

From How to Cook Everything, which is possibly the best twenty bucks I've ever spent on Amazon.

Ingredients:
1 c. minus 2 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. cornstarch
2 T lemon zest (which worked out to be the outer yellow part of one whole lemon, microplaned off)
2 T lemon juice (half a lemon, squeezed)
pinch salt

Directions: 
On low speed, combine butter and sugar.  Still on low speed, beat in egg yolk, then the rest of the ingredients, just until the mixture starts to look like cookie dough.

Roll dough into log shape, using plastic wrap.  Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.




Slice into 1/4 in. slices; put slices on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 275 until just firm but not brown, about 30 minutes.



I should probably work on my log-forming skills-- I'm sure round or square would be lovely; as it is, my cookies look like squished Pac-Man ghosts.  (The indentations are from a wire shelf in my freezer.)  And, of course, cookie sizes are wildly uneven. 

These would be fantastic with some sort of glaze, but that wouldn't freeze well, so I just dusted with powdered sugar.  Since I don't have a sifter, I just scooped a couple tablespoons into a wire mesh strainer, and shook it over the cookies while still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment