Friday, October 16, 2009

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mmm... just spectacular.  The perfect plain chocolate chip cookie.  Soft and chewy, not at all cakey.




I used Alton Brown's recipe exactly-- didn't change a thing.  Although I'm pretty sure that my cookies are bigger-- I used a regular ice cream scooper, as I don't have a #20 disher.  Also, I got 21 cookies instead of 36, and I didn't eat all that much dough.

Ingredients
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2-1/4 c. bread flour
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 c. sugar
1-1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 T milk
1-1/2 t vanilla extract
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
Melt the butter in large bowl (I used the microwave to do this-- a couple minutes on medium power, checking frequently).  In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking soda.

Add the sugar and brown sugar to the butter.  Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed.  Add the egg, yolk, milk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.  Add the flour mixture in three or four batches; mix on low speed after each addition until thoroughly combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough until firm (about an hour in the fridge).  Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Scoop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving plenty of space between each cookie. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.





These make HUGE cookies-- that is a foot-long ruler in the picture above.  Probably 9 cookies to a sheet would have worked slightly better.  These are amazing, though, and the parchment paper makes clean up a breeze; I didn't have to wash either the cookie sheets or the cooling racks, since I just slid the parchment paper from one to the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment