Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cupcakes!

Almond, this time, with raspberry butter cream frosting. I didn't overfill them quite as much as last time, but still ended up with mushroom shaped cupcakes. Still, they mostly came out of the pan intact!

And I got to bust out my decorating bag!

Not too bad for a first attempt at the basket weave pattern:

And I like these little swirlys:


I've decided that frosting is my favorite medium to doodle in.

I used the same recipe as last time, just adding an extra 1/2 t of almond extract to the batter, and substituting seedless raspberry preserves for the cream in the frosting.

Adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cupcake recipe

Almond Cupcakes (makes 12, plus a little extra)
1/2 c. (a stick) butter, softened
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 c. milk
1/2 t almond extract
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 350; line muffin tins with papers.
Mix milk, almond extract, and vanilla in measuring cup; mix flour and baking powder well with a fork or whisk.
Cream butter; beat in sugar gradually and beat until fluffy (~3 mins on medium speed)
Beat in eggs one at a time
Gradually add flour and milk, alternating and beating until incorporated
Spoon batter into cups, about 2/3 full.
Bake 20-22 minutes; cool on rack before icing.

Raspberry Buttercream frosting
1/2 c. butter, softened
4 c. confectioners sugar (or one 15 oz. box)
1/4 c. seedless raspberry preserves (4 T)
1/4 t vanilla extract

Cream butter; beat in half the sugar and all the jam and vanilla.
Gradually add remaining sugar until icing is thick enough to spread.

One thing I didn't think of until I was frosting the last, extra little cake (there's enough batter for 13 or 14 cupcakes-- I made the extra in a little ramekin) was adding a thin layer of jam on top of the cupcake before frosting. I now highly recommend this... particularly if you make the cupcakes a day ahead so that the jam soaks into the cake a little bit. Keep covered in the fridge; take the cupcakes out an hour or two before serving to bring to room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment