Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sardines sandwich

Yes, sardines.  I'm trying to get more seafood into my diet, and sardines are a low-mercury source of those Omega-3's so beloved of nutritionists.  I figured it was worth at least trying.  



This was my first experience eating sardines; although I found the smell off-putting when I opened the can, they were really tasty.  However, if you don't like fishy-tasting fish, don't bother. 

Adapted from Alton Brown's Good Eats.  Makes 2 servings, although I ate both in one sitting. 

Ingredients:
1 can brisling sardines packed in olive oil
2 thick slices of crusty bread 
Dash of red wine vinegar
A bit of freshly grated lemon or lime zest
freshly ground black pepper
Thinly sliced red onion (optional)
1/2 ripe avocado
coarse sea salt 

Directions:
1.  Preheat broiler.  Drain oil from can into bowl; brush some of the oil onto one side of each slice of bread.  Then whisk in vingear, zest, and pepper.  Toss the fish in the resulting vinaigrette.  

2.  Broil the bread to toast, oil side up.  Mash the avocado in its skin and spread on top of toast.  Top with sardines and slice of onion.  Sprinkle sea salt on top.  Serve with lemon or lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment